Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Messy Learning Lab: Packing Peanuts Sensory Bin


In anticipation for our Messy Learning Lab, I purchased several under the bed storage containers from Meijer. They are the perfect size for large sensory bins with several children playing at once. I filled this one with packing peanuts, magnetic letters and re-purposed puzzle piece magnets.


Again, the first couple of parents to observe this activity asked the children to keep the peanuts in the box. I quickly assured them that I expected peanuts to be everywhere. It is a messy learning experience after all. That is the only encouragement the little ones needed!


When everyone finished up, I swept up the peanuts on the floor and tossed them. They were flattened anyway. I put away the magnets and dumped the rest of the peanuts into a bag for later use. Easy clean-up for two hours of messy fun!

Sharing with Tuesday Tots and It's Playtime! and For the Kids Friday

3 comments:

  1. I soooooooooooooo wish I had gotten a chance to do that when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun! I could totally see myself being the parent telling my kids to keep the stuff in the bin if we were somewhere else. (At my own house I encourage and expect mess, but I never know when others feel the same way or not.) So glad you were okay with the little kids getting the peanuts all over. As you stated, they clean up easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I'm usually the one saying, "Yes, you can!" when the parents are wary.

      Delete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!