Monday, December 10, 2012

Messy Learning Lab: Shaving Cream Table

Bubble wrap table with shaving cream swirl all over
The Messy Learning Lab is a program I created for the library children to enjoy messy play with friends and family. I'll be sharing an activity from the lab each day this week!

I still have a large quantity of bubble wrap, so I covered a table with it. Masking tape didn't work, so I used packing tape to secure large sheets over and under the table. I envisioned a large mountain of shaving cream in the middle of the table as an invitation, but I just couldn't get that much out at once. 


The Lab lasts for two hours, so families can come at the best time for them and stay as long as they want. With ten messy activities available, you can really tell who is allowed to make a mess at home. Some of the children put a couple of fingers or a whole hand in the shaving cream, then immediately ask for washing up.


While others show great abandon.


I use regular shaving cream, which has a nice, fresh scent and smooth texture. The bubble wrap provides sound with gentle popping as the shaving cream is spread and squished. I am sharing this activity first because it is the least messy and easiest to clean up. It can also be adapted for the home by taking it outside or to the bathtub.

To clean, I simply pull the wrap free, fold it over the mess, and toss it. We have wood floors at the library, so I just used an extra paint shirt to wipe up the floor and a dry mop to suck up the moisture. The children can likewise be wiped clean with a dry cloth and smell wonderful afterwards.

Be sure to check back for more messy activities!

Sharing with Montessori Monday and Tuesday Tots and It's Playtime

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of adding bubble wrap to the shaving cream table! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I pinned your post to my Any-Season Sensory Tubs/Sensory Experiences board at http://pinterest.com/debchitwood/any-season-sensory-tubs-sensory-experiences/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a messy lab, and the combination of shaving cream and bubble wrap sounds like a great sensory experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love this idea! I will be seeking out bubble wrap!! Thanks for such great messy ideas :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message, it makes me happy!